Research and technology to the appreciation in value of natural resources and not effectively recovered by economic activity
The Centre of Technology and Innovation (CTI) is an excellence research and technological intensification centre, internationally recognized. CTI aims to find solutions to a set of problems through a team with young, multidisciplinary, proactive and with high innovative spirit people. This centre contains the technological infrastructure Bio Centre: Bio Industries, Biorefineries and Bioproducts.
CTI is composed by four departments with specific goals:
This department aims to solve the problems related with the decline and low population density, through the critical mass settling in the region and the development of projects and activities that promote the welfare, gender equality and the conditions to counteract rural exodus.
The focus is on the research for a sustainable education, using new educational models of scientific literacy, like innovative and technological fun activities, focused on developing competence models and the creativity stimulation of youngsters from 4 to 8 years old, in line with the strategies from "Agenda 21 Escolar e Local".
In Portugal, it is a pioneer department in the implementation, promotion and development of policies for the establishment of economic activities, supported mainly by technology and innovation, boosting youth entrepreneurship.
Energy and Territory is a department with research activities and technological development associated with following sectors:
- Energy, energetic systems and intelligent mobility;
- Protection, valorisation and sustainable management of regional resources, preventing the risk of largescale forest fires and promoting the use of vegetal biotechnology; and
- Valorisation of lignocellulosic resources and hydrocarbons to produce energy, bioproductsand biofuel, as a parallel activity to food and agro-forestry sectors, with the focus on the development of 2nd and 3rd generation biorefineries, according to the Circular Economy concept.
The Environment and Life Quality department develops research and technological activities regarding:
- Systems optimization and solutions regarding the reduction and resolution of serious environmental problems, promoting in a business point of view environmental exploration, focusing as well on wastes, industrials and regional symbioses and Circular Economy;
- Development of treatment and valorisation solutions of effluents and microalgae usage;
- Research and development of biomaterials with innovative and efficient features, based on dematerialization and valorisation of regional resources, integrating eco-innovation and eco-design;
- Life cycle integrated optimization, using multi-criteria analysis models and Life Cycle Assessment; and
- Research, aiming to promote a healthy/functional nutrition and active life.
Research and technological development in the food sector regarding "Super Food", "Natural Food", "Pleasure Food" and fruit based products, using endogenous resources and development of new agricultural products with a major food innovation component.
Therefore, attention was given mainly to “Serra da Estrela” cheese, "S. Bartolomeu" pear, apples from regional sources, native mushrooms and truffles.
Applies techniques that contribute to the promotion of agricultural production through the achievement of high quality products with distinctive features based on technology implementation and the improvement of productivity and systems quality.
Mycology, both in the food and biomolecular context, is an important research pillar for this department.